Ratio between number of mRNAs from 'rural' genes and 'urban' genes per cell

Range 1.8 Unitless
Organism Human Homo sapiens
Reference Chiaromonte F, Miller W, Bouhassira EE. Gene length and proximity to neighbors affect genome-wide expression levels. Genome Res. 2003 Dec13(12):2602-8.PubMed ID14613975
Method Reasearchers adopted a simple definition of urban genes as the 25% of the MHKT (minimal housekeeping transcriptome) genes with the shortest distance to their closest neighbor, regardless of orientation. Rural genes are defined as the remaining 75%. The tables in Figure 4 report mean and median distances to closest neighbors, as well as mean mRNA/cell and mean ln(mRNA/cell), with their standard errors, for genes in the two classes. The mean expression level for the urban class is almost twofold lower than for the rural class (62.2 ± 7.58 and 110.8 ± 10.1 mRNA/cell, respectively).
Comments The most novel and striking result from analyses is the negative association between mRNA expression and distance to the closest neighboring gene, because it indicates that transcriptional interference plays a role in determining the level of gene expression.
Entered by Uri M
ID 103817