Fraction of total collagen that is type I collagen and types III and V collagens

Range type I collagen ~95%: types III and V collagens ~5% %
Organism Mammals
Reference Wang JH, Mechanobiology of tendon, J Biomech. 2006 39(9):1563-82 DOI: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2005.05.011 p.1566 left column bottom paragraphPubMed ID16000201
Primary Source J.H. Evans, J.C. Barbenel Structural and mechanical properties of tendon related to function Equine Veterinary Journal, 7 (1975), pp. 1-8 AND G.P. Riley, R.L. Harrall, C.R. Constant, M.D. Chard, T.E. Cawston, B.L. Hazleman Glycosaminoglycans of human rotator cuff tendons: changes with age and in chronic rotator cuff tendinitis Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, 53 (1994), pp. 367-376PubMed ID1116491, 8037495
Comments P.1566 left column bottom paragraph: "Tendons consist of collagens, proteoglycans, glycoproteins, water and cells. Tendons are rich in collagens, with the most abundant tendon component being type I collagen, which constitutes about 60% of the dry mass of the tendon and about 95% of the total collagen (primary sources). The remaining 5% consists of types III and V collagens." 1st primary source studied horses, 2nd studied humans
Entered by Uri M
ID 114291