||P.S106 left column 2nd paragraph: "In the scalp, each hair grows steadily, approximately 1 cm per month [BNID 109909], and continuously for 3 to 5 years (anagen phase). Growth then stops and is followed by a brief transient stage (catagen) and a 2- to 4-month resting stage (telogen), during which old hair is shed. With the onset of the anagen stage, new hair starts to grow from the same follicle. The growth process functions independently in each follicle, therefore, hairs are not shed simultaneously as they are in many animals. At any given time, some hairs are growing, some are resting, and some are being shed. Normally, of approximately 150,000 scalp hairs, 90% are in the anagen phase, and the remaining 10% are in the catagen and telogen phases, with 50 to 100 hairs being shed daily."