The distribution of the number of human cells by cell type

Range Figure - link
Organism Human Homo sapiens
Reference Sender R, Fuchs S, Milo R. Revised Estimates for the Number of Human and Bacteria Cells in the Body. PLoS Biol. 2016 Aug 19 14(8):e1002533. doi: 10.1371/journal.pbio.1002533. p.8 figure 2PubMed ID27541692
Method Abstract: "Here, [investigators] integrate the most up-to-date information on the number of human and bacterial cells in the body."
Comments P.7 bottom paragraph to p.8 top paragraph: "In Fig 2, [investigators] summarize the revised results for the contribution of the different cell types to the total number of human cells. Categories contributing >0.4% in cell count are presented. All the other categories sum up to about 2% together. [They] find that the body includes only 3×10^12 non-blood human cells, merely 10% of the total updated human cell count. The visualization in Fig 2 highlights that almost 90% of the cells are estimated to be enucleated cells (26×10^12 cells), mostly red blood cells and platelets, while the other ≈10% consist of ≈3×10^12 nucleated cells. The striking dominance of the hematopoietic lineage in the cell count (90% of the total) is counterintuitive given the composition of the body by mass." See note beneath figure
Entered by Uri M
ID 112985